What this blog is about!

Now that we know most of our department store cosmetics and household products are full of harmful, cancer-causing and hormone-interrupting chemicals, what can we do about it? This blog is to help us all share ideas on what products we have tried, what products are relatively safe, what is affordable to the general public and what we have found to REALLY WORK! We are in this together!

It probably makes the most sense for you to start with the first post, and work your way up to the current one! We welcome your comments!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stinky Pits

I first learned about harmful cosmetics about 6 months ago when I started working on a documentary film about breast cancer and breast cancer prevention. It was so shocking to me to learn that the 12-18 products I was using PER DAY were incredibly harmful and contain cancer-causing chemicals. I did the same thing as my mom... only not as drastic. :) But, I threw away over half of the products I was currently using. A good place to find natural and organic products is Whole Foods. (Yes, you're going to pay a bit more.... but maybe you won't have to put money into chemotherapy later.) Even though Whole Foods is an "organic" store... Make sure you still look up the products on www.cosmeticdatabase.org before you buy anything. Some of them still have the yucky stuff in them.

I decided to start with the things I put all over my body.... lotion and body wash. I found a body wash brand called In Kind. I actually found this one at my local grocery store and it's great. The lotion I found is actually a Whole Foods' brand called 365. They have a whole line of natural products. I got the unscented one so my boyfriend and I can both use it. But, they have smell-good products, too.

I also found a deodorant called KissMyFace. I tried it for 3 days, and I've never had stinkier pits in my life. haha. So, I ditched that one and went back to my Lady Speed Stick. Which, doesn't rank too high on the toxic list. But, I'm still on a search for a non-stinky deodorant.

Chelsea

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a super sweaty person, but I do have hot flashes! Anyway, I tried a deodorant brand from Whole Foods called Hugo Naturals. The scent is called sea fennel and passionflower. Now, don't get too excited -- the smell isn't my all-time favorite, but it is OK - very floral. And it does a decent job of being a deodorant with antimicrobial ingredients that help stop odors (it is a roll-on solid). Here is your armpit 101 course -- don't forget the difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant. When you perspire, a deodorant will make your perspiration smell like something more pleasant. An antiperspirant is designed to suppress your perspiration. Bad ingredients in your armpit product would be mainly propylene glycol, aluminum and alcohol.

    ReplyDelete